Who’s collecting your personal information?
Your health information is being collected by Virgin Australia Airlines Pty Ltd (ABN 36 090 670 965). Find our contact details on our website or you can email us at email@example.com.
Collection of your personal information
When you travel with us, we may collect your health information where you (or someone else acting on your behalf) make certain requests which may reveal or suggest something about you, or you choose to provide this information to us. Some examples include, where you:
- make a request for Special Assistance for a travel booking;
- participate in our nervous flyer program;
- request a special meal (if this indicates a medical condition);
- request medical clearance to fly;
- provide information in connection with a public health or safety requirement, for example your COVID-19 health acknowledgement or information provided to meet any other COVID-19 requirements which apply to your travel; or
- are involved in a safety investigation, accident, complaint, claim or other health-related matter.
Why do we collect your personal information?
We collect your health information to:
- establish your requirements and make any Special Assistance or other travel arrangements (such as a special meal request) for you when you travel with us or one of our holiday or experience providers;
- process your medical clearance form;
- to manage the health and safety of our passengers and crew; and
- investigate a safety incident, accident, complaint, claim or other health-related matter that relates to you.
To help us process some of these requests, we may ask for supporting documents.
Generally, we’ll ask for your consent to handle your health information or, in certain circumstances, you will consent to our collection by providing your health information to us. We may also handle your health information on other legal grounds, including to comply with our legal obligations, to protect your interests (where you’re not capable of giving your consent), where it’s in the public interest and in relation to legal claims. Unless you have provided us with your consent, we will not use your health information for marketing purposes.
What would happen if we didn’t collect your personal information?
If we can’t collect your health information, we may not be able to provide you with the products or services you have requested, including your:
- flight or booking experience;
- Special Assistance request;
- medical clearance; or
- special meals.
We also may not be able to fully investigate a safety incident, accident, complaint, claim or other health-related matter.
Who will we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your health information to:
- other Virgin Australia Group companies;
- our Partners and non-Airline Partners;
- another person, if:
- they can provide us with the Booking Reference for your booking (located at the top of your itinerary) and confirm the first and last name of one or more passengers in the booking;
- you have authorised them to act for you (including any legal representative); or
- they made the booking and are managing it on your behalf (including travel or booking agents, travel management companies, your employer or other representatives);
- our third-party product and service providers, including those providing ground handling services, call centre services, technology and related support services (such as MedAire who provide us with 24/7 access to emergency care doctors and security specialists);
- government departments, agencies and regulatory authorities, including immigration; customs and border security; public health and safety authorities, national, state and territory law enforcement agencies; and airport security authorities.
It’s very important that you don’t share your Booking Reference with another person if you don’t want them to have access to your personal or booking information. If a person can provide the Booking Reference for your booking and confirm the first and last name of one or more passengers in the booking, then we may also disclose your health and other personal information to that person, and/or update your booking at their request.
Overseas disclosure of your personal information
We’re likely to disclose your health information to countries located outside of Australia where:
- you’re travelling outside of Australia, and disclosure is necessary to carry out your Special Assistance or other travel arrangements;
- our third-party service providers are located; and/or
- our Airline Partners or non-Airline Partners are located.
Access and correction of your personal information and privacy complaints
- access your personal information;
- correct your personal information;
- make a privacy complaint (and how we’ll deal with it);
- ask us a question about our privacy practices; and
- access additional rights if they apply to where you live.
You can contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long will we keep your personal information for?
Last updated December 2021