Choose a seat of your choice
Advanced seat selection is included in all fares, except Economy Lite.
For Economy Lite fares, you can purchase seat selection up to 3 hours prior to your flight’s scheduled departure. Simply add seat selection and pay the applicable fee via the Virgin Australia App or through Manage Your Booking.
Within 3 hours of your scheduled departure, you can select a seat at no extra charge, subject to availability.
Sometimes we have to change our aircraft after you have selected your seat. When this is the case, you will be re-seated in your applicable zone or in the same or a similar seat; however, this is subject to availability and we cannot guarantee this. Our Customer Services teams will strive to seat you in the next best available seat.
For more information about seat selection, view the Seat Selection Terms and Conditions.
Seating for families
You and your children will always be seated together
At time of booking we will show you the available seats to choose from, including within preferred zones if you are a Status member of our Velocity program.
- If you are travelling in a booking of 3 or more, we will assign you the best seats from those remaining 48 hours before your flight time.
- Selecting seats during check-in, which is available 48 hours prior to departure.
If you can't all be seated together, we’ll ensure each child (under 12) is seated with an adult from your group.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer the above for guests who have purchased tickets in separate bookings. For the best seats that suit the whole family, ensure you select your seats either via Manage Your Booking prior to your flight or during Check-in.
If you are flying with infants, please note that bassinets are unavailable onboard our aircrafts.
Groups of more than 9 people
When you book, our Groups department will seat you together in the best available seats remaining. As you can appreciate we cannot move other guests who have pre-reserved their seats so book early to ensure we can allocate seats for the whole group together. If you have a Silver, Gold or Platinum Velocity member in the group, up to nine companions can join them in the preferred zone.
As you progress through our Velocity tiers, you will have access to more seating options to choose from at time of booking
We have created Platinum, Gold and Silver preferred zones in all our aircraft enabling our frequent flyers to choose the best seats whilst also ensuring all of our Velocity members are offered choice.
For our members we have key timings below to assist you to always get the best seats.
- Time of booking – we reserve specific zones that are only available for selection for members within the relevant Velocity tiers.
- 48hrs to departure – we release most of the unused seats in the preferred zones for others members and guests.
- 12hrs to departure - we release all unused seats in the preferred zones and, where we can, endeavour to provide a spare seat beside our Platinum Velocity members*.
*Subject to operational requirements & not available on all aircraft types in the fleet.