Fly Carbon Neutral Terms and Conditions
1. The Fly Carbon Neutral program is operated by Virgin Australia and participation is voluntary.
2. Payment for carbon offsets purchased will include a Goods and Services Tax (GST) component which will not be allocated towards carbon offset projects.
3. You can pay for your carbon offset with Velocity Frequent Flyer Points. The number of Points required will vary. There is no GST component if you pay with Velocity Frequent Flyer points.
4. If your booking or flight is cancelled for any reason, you can request a refund of the value paid for carbon offset by submitting a request through the Online Feedback Form. If your booking or flight is cancelled and you do not request a refund of the value paid for carbon offsets, it will be used to offset Virgin Australia’s carbon emissions.
5. Your carbon offsets purchase will be included in your purchase invoice, received via e-mail from Virgin Australia. We will not provide duplicate tax invoices. If you use Points to purchase carbon offsets, this transaction will be included in your monthly Velocity Frequent Flyer statement.
6. The Virgin Australia Fly Carbon Neutral program has been certified under the Climate Active Program supported by the Australian Government.
7. The certified methodology used to calculate the emissions associated with your seat on a flight provides an estimate only and should not be relied upon as an accurate record of the actual emissions associated with your seat on your flight. For this reason, to the extent permitted by law, we are not liable to you or any third party if the estimate of carbon emissions associated with your seat on a flight calculated using the certified methodology does not reflect the actual carbon emissions attributable to your seat on a flight.
8. Infants are not included in the calculation of flight emissions for online bookings. An infant is a passenger aged up to 23 months inclusive.
9. Your contribution will be used to acquire carbon offsets generated from Australian and international projects that are ‘Eligible Offset Units’ as defined under the Climate Active Carbon Neutral Certification Product and Services Standard. We may at our absolute discretion acquire carbon offsets from projects of our choice and you are not able to direct us to allocate the funds to any specific carbon offset project or supplier.
10. While Virgin Australia has taken reasonable care to ensure that the information provided by us on the Virgin Australia websites relating to carbon offsetting is correct, all information may be subject to change at any time without notice. To the extent permitted by law, Virgin Australia is not liable to you or anyone for any inaccuracies in the information on this website or if the information is not up-to-date. Nothing in these terms limits or exclude our liability including for representations made by Virgin Australia, where by law such liability cannot be excluded.
11. Virgin Australia reserves the right to suspend or terminate this carbon offsetting arrangement in its absolute discretion at any time, without giving notice to you. Any payments for carbon offsets purchased prior to Virgin Australia’s suspension or termination will be honoured and will be directed towards carbon offsets. This arrangement will be subject to any applicable legislative or other regulatory controls imposed by State and Federal Governments, whether existing now or at any time in the future.
These Terms and Conditions are effective as at the date of publication (2nd November 2023). We may change these Terms and Conditions at any time so please ensure you read them before choosing to offset carbon omissions in connection with your flight.