- About this policy
- Collecting your personal information
- Use and disclosure of your personal information
- Travelling with others and corporate accounts
- Overseas disclosures
- Job applicants
- Our marketing and your personal information
- Storage and security of your personal information
- Access to and correction of your personal information
- How to make a complaint
- Contact us
Virgin Australia is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information.
|Virgin Australia Airlines Pty Ltd||Virgin Samoa Limited||Virgin Australia Airlines (NZ) Ltd|
|Virgin Australia Airlines (SE Asia) Pty Ltd||Virgin Australia International Airlines Pty Ltd||Virgin Australia Regional Airlines Pty Ltd|
|Virgin Australia Cargo Pty Ltd|
We also provide specific privacy collection notices relating to our particular services and practices, where required under Australian Privacy Principle 5 (“Privacy Statements”). Access our current Privacy Statements.
2.1 Types of information we collect
The personal information that we collect will depend on your relationship with us and the service you have requested. It may include:
- your personal and contact details, date of birth, gender, passport or other identification details and photograph;
- payment information in connection with a flight or cargo booking or additional products or services purchased through our website or our Contact Centre;
- itinerary and other travel related information (including any dietary and special assistance requirements);
- IP address or MAC address when using our website or mobile applications;
- if you use social media to interact with us, any information that you allow the social media site to share with us;
- Velocity Frequent Flyer membership information; and
- information relating to your dealings with us.
2.2 Collecting health and other sensitive information
We may collect health or other sensitive information about you:
- if relevant to your travel arrangements, for example, where you make a “Special Assistance” request, provide your dietary requirements or otherwise provide us with health information;
- have a medical condition and are required to complete a medical clearance form; or
- are involved in a safety investigation, complaint or claim.
Depending on the circumstances in which we are collecting health information from you, we collect health information so that we can:
- establish your requirements and make any Special Assistance or other travel arrangements for you;
- process your medical clearance form; or
- investigate safety incidents or accidents, complaints or claims.
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, if you contact our Guest Contact Centre with a general enquiry, we will not ask for your name unless we need it to adequately handle your enquiry.
However, for most of our functions and activities we usually need your name and contact information.
2.4 How we collect personal information
We collect your personal information in a number of ways. We may collect your personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, for example when you:
- provide personal information to us, for example, when you make or update a booking, subscribe to our email or other communications, enter a competition, provide feedback to us or otherwise interact with us;
- visit our website, social media channels or mobile applications;
- apply for a position with us;
- complete a form for us, such as medical clearance, claim and unaccompanied minor forms; or
- contact our Contact Centre. We record all calls in and out of our Contact Centre and so we will collect any personal information you provide during the call.
We may also collect personal information about you from someone other than you. This may include our related entities and:
- a person who makes, changes or enquires about a flight, cargo or other booking on your behalf or who otherwise interacts with us on your behalf (such as travel or booking agents, sales agents or your employer or other representative as part of a corporate or group booking);
- recruitment agencies and previous employers, if you have applied for a position with us and with your consent;
- our service providers and contractors (such as ground handlers, cargo handlers, call centre operators, marketing and sales agencies, payment fulfilment and fraud protection providers and organisations that issue a Virgin Australia Cargo Air Waybill for the carriage of cargo;
- our airline and non-airline partners, including car rental providers, hoteliers, airport transfer and parking providers, travel insurance providers and foreign exchange services;
- third parties who run competitions and other competitions on our behalf or for which we are the sponsor; and
- government agencies and regulatory authorities, including immigration and border security and police, and airport security.
We may combine personal information we receive about you (whether from you, our airline and other partners, related entities or third parties) with other information that we hold about you.
2.5 Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal information so that we can provide you with our services and any products that you may have requested, to contact you and to carry out our functions and activities.
The purposes for which we collect your personal information may include:
- processing and making arrangements for your flight, cargo or other booking and any additional products or services you requested during the booking process;
- verifying your identity;
- communicating with you before and after your flight, including to provide flight updates and request your feedback;
- identifying and arranging benefits for you with our airline and non-airline partners, including frequent flyer program recognition and benefits, complimentary membership and discounts;
- determining issues of passenger safety, security and requirements, including special assistance requirements and medical fitness to fly;
- providing and operating our competitions, promotions and events;
- contacting you with marketing and promotional material about our offers or promotions, and those of our related entities, airline and non-partners and other third parties, and to identify products and services that may be of interest to you;
- responding to feedback, queries and complaints;
- helping us to continuously improve the services and products we offer; and
- maintaining records and complying with our legal obligations.
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. We will also use or disclose your personal information for a secondary (but related) purpose, where you would reasonably expect us to or we have your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- to Velocity Rewards Pty Ltd and Velocity Frequent Flyer Pty Ltd;
- to our airline partners, other airlines and our non-airline partners about your booking or frequent flyer program for partner recognition and benefits;
- to your travel or booking agent;
- to any person who can provide us with the Passenger Reference Number for your booking (located at the top of your itinerary) and confirm the full name of one or more passengers included in the booking;
- to the cardholder of the credit card used to pay for your booking;
- to our third party product and service providers, including those providing catering, ground handling, cargo handling, technology and related support services, call centre services, promotions and prize fulfilments services, marketing and advertising services, data analysis and business intelligence services, payment fulfilment and fraud protection services and security services;
- in the event of an emergency or other serious incident, to government departments and agencies and other support organisations and persons involved in the incident response, and to your family member(s) who contact us seeking information about your travel arrangements;
- to our professional advisers and insurers;
- where permitted or required by law or order of a court/tribunal; and
- to comply with our legal, audit, reporting and investigations requirements and for operational or regulatory compliance purposes. This includes us communicating with Australian law enforcement agencies, airport security and border control and other government and regulatory bodies.
If your booking contains more than one guest (whether you and your family or a friend, or a group booking for 10 or more) or you are travelling under a corporate account, then we will collect your personal information from you or the person who made or updated the booking on your behalf. We may also disclose your personal information to the person who made or updated your booking and other persons included in the booking.
If your booking is made through your employer’s corporate travel agreement with Virgin Australia, we may collect your personal information from and disclose your personal information to your employer (or representative), including your itinerary, information relating to your travel including check-in, “no-show” or boarding status and any incident reports.
We may disclose your personal information to organisations or persons located outside of Australia. The countries in which these organisations or persons are located will depend on the circumstances, but in the course of our ordinary operations, we generally disclose personal information to third parties located in the countries where:
- you are travelling to or from or you are sending cargo to or from (including to local cargo and ground handlers, law enforcement and security customs and immigration agencies, our airline and other partners who are providing you with a product or service);
- our third party service providers are located, that is, Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, The Philippines, United Kingdom and United States of America; and
- our Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partners are located, that is, all countries worldwide. We will only disclose your personal information to an overseas Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partner where necessary to process a transaction for you.
When you apply for a job with us, we will generally collect the personal information that you include in your application, such as your contact details, career history and education details. We may also collect sensitive information from you, for example, medical information or criminal history, if it is relevant to the role that you are applying for, and whether you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, for our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
We may also obtain personal information about you from third parties with your consent, for example, from your previous employers or nominated referees. We collect personal information for the purpose of assessing and progressing your application. We will hold your personal information for future job opportunities with us, unless you tell us not to.
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities, your referees and also to third party suppliers that we use to help with our recruitment processes, such as recruitment agencies and organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests. We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record.
Cookies are tiny files sent to your browser and stored by your browser on your computer or other device that you're using to access our website or use our mobile applications.
Our cookies collect your IP address or MAC address, the city associated with your IP or MAC address, the date and time of your visit to our website, pages viewed, the URL of the website that you viewed before our website and the type of browser you use.
We also use Google Analytics which is a web-tracking tool that generates detailed statistics about traffic to our websites and traffic sources. This tool can also measure and record conversions and sales. It only provides us with aggregated data (not personal information of our website visitors).
The cookies and web-tracking tools allow our websites and mobile applications to interact more efficiently with the device you are using and to help us improve the content and functioning of our websites and mobile applications.
We use personal information that we hold about you to identify services and products that may be of interest to you.
We may contact you by email, text message or phone to let you know about flight specials, our airline and non-airline partners and third party offers and promotions or any new or existing products or services.
You can contact us at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing materials from us, our related entities or our partners. If you receive a marketing email from us, you can opt-out from that particular category of marketing email by clicking on the "Manage Preferences" link or the “unsubscribe link” at the bottom of the email.
9.1 Our systems
We mostly hold personal information electronically in our IT systems and databases. We also hold personal information in telephone recordings and in hard copy paper files. We use third party service providers to store some personal information.
We take reasonable steps to protect the information that we hold about you from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We do this by having physical and electronic security systems and by limiting who can access your personal information. We also have online and network security systems in place for our websites, so that the information you provide us online is protected and secure. However, because of the nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Please contact us if you become aware of any breach of security.
9.2 Keeping your booking safe
Your Passenger Reference Number (located at the top of your itinerary) is like your PIN for your booking.
You can help us protect your privacy by keeping your Passenger Reference Number safe. Don’t share your Passenger Reference Number with any other person, unless you are happy for them to receive information from us about your booking and travel arrangements and to make changes to your booking.
We will only update a flight booking or otherwise provide information in relation a booking (including passenger names, destinations, changes or interruptions to travel or no-shows) or provide copies of itineraries or tax invoices, if our verification criteria are met.
If you believe your Passenger Reference Number has been obtained by someone who you do not want to have access to your booking, please notify us immediately.
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information held by us.
If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information that we hold about you, please contact us on the details below. We will need to verify your identity before we can process your request.
We will respond to your request within a reasonable time of you making the request and give you access in the manner you requested, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so.
Sometimes we will be able to respond to your query over the phone, but sometimes we may need your request in writing and we might need some time to gather the requested information and get back to you. These more complex requests usually take us between 14 and 30 days. We might need to send a copy of the information to you by post or we might ask you to come and see us to have a look at the information.
Making a request is free. But depending on what information you request access to, we may need to charge you for giving you access to the information. The charges will not be excessive and we'll let you know if a charge will apply before we proceed with giving you access. There is no charge for correcting your personal information.
If we refuse to correct your personal information that we hold, you can ask us to associate with that information a statement that the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, you can make a complaint by contacting us using the details below.
Once we have received your complaint, we will investigate and respond to you within a reasonable period of time.
We take any privacy complaint seriously and will deal with your complaint fairly and promptly. However if you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (in writing) at:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 1042
Phone: 1300 363 992
TTY: 1800 620 241
If your complaint relates to our airline services (rather than being privacy-related), you can contact the Airline Customer Advocate, which provides a complaint handling and dispute resolution process for eligible airline customers.
We will post all updates to our privacy page.
You can contact us by:
Writing to us at:
PO Box 1034
Spring Hill QLD 4004
Phone: (07) 3295 3000