Occupying own seat
|3 special infant items||3 special infant items||2 special equipment items|
Check your baggage allowance
If you are travelling on our Domestic and International Short Haul network, you will be entitled to the below checked baggage allowance.
Please read this information carefully as there are important terms that you should be aware of, including our policies on baggage restrictions and refunds.
|Lite||Choice||Flex||Business||Virgin Australia Reward Seat|
|Checked bag inclusions||Not included.
Add bags for a fee.
|1 x 23kg||1 x 23kg||2 x 32kg||1 x 23kg|
I've booked an Economy Elevate, Getaway or Freedom fare
Infants and children
Infants and children are entitled to carry special items as checked baggage, free of charge, as listed below. If you're travelling with an infant, you may check in a 23kg bag as part of your special item baggage allowance (except where you are flying on an Economy Lite fare).
Baggage do's and dont's
Looking for more?
If you are travelling with non-standard items such as musical and sporting equipment, please refer to oversized and fragile items. If you are travelling with one of our partner airlines, please refer to partner fares.
- Velocity complimentary baggage allowance is based on status at time of travel, not time of booking.
- Additional baggage allowances for Velocity Silver, Gold and Platinum members varies depending on the operating carrier, for VA codeshare bookings please refer to the tables above for applicable allowance.
- Baggage allowances for Reward Seat fares with Velocity airline partners will be based on the operating carrier’s baggage allowances as found on their website and as per your class of travel. Refer to your Velocity status page for more information on further benefits you may be entitled to.
Avoid paying up to 50% more at the airport. Pre-purchase additional baggage online or via our Guest Contact Centre before you check-in. In addition to any checked baggage allowance included in your fare, you can add a maximum of two pieces of baggage at 23kg each per person before you arrive at the airport.
How to purchase additional baggage
Important note regarding additional checked baggage
The purchase of additional baggage is limited for flights to and from Haneda, Japan and Apia, Samoa. The carriage of additional baggage is at the sole discretion of Virgin Australia and is subject to aircraft loads. The purchase of additional baggage at the airport is subject to availability and there is no guarantee of uplift.
We will endeavour to carry your Checked Baggage on the same flight as you, however, additional and overweight baggage will be accepted on a space-available basis. If your baggage cannot be carried on the same flight with you due to operational limitations, it will be transported on the next available flight with sufficient load capacity.
|Online||If you’d like to purchase additional baggage to an existing booking, go to Manage your Booking.|
Guest Contact Centre
|Please contact the Virgin Australia Guest Contact Centre on 13 67 89 if you are calling from within Australia. View contact numbers outside of Australia.|
|At the airport||Additional baggage can be selected and purchased via self-service Kiosks or via an Agent at the Check-In counter. Higher baggage rates will apply at the airport.|
Additional baggage fees
Baggage fees are charged for each additional piece, per one-way journey and are subject to change at any time without notice.
Pre-purchased baggage may only be purchased if you are travelling on a Virgin Australia ticketed and operated flight. For tickets or connecting flights operated by other airlines, additional baggage may only be purchased at the airport on the day of departure.
If you’re travelling Economy with a little extra weight, fees will apply at the airport to any piece over 23kg up to 32kg. For items that are over the maximum total linear dimensions, please refer to oversized and fragile items. For items that are over 32kg, please refer to our Cargo services.
Overweight baggage fees
Fees are charged at the airport on the day of departure for each additional piece, per one-way journey (includes formal connecting flights) as listed below.
Important information about additional baggage
- Each guest may check in up to 9 pieces on Virgin Australia operated flights. The 9 pieces includes fare allowance, Velocity tier allowance, pre-purchased baggage and additional airport baggage.
- Applicable fees have been calculated based on average flight times and will not be adjusted based on individual flight time fluctuations.
- The carriage of additional baggage is at the sole discretion of Virgin Australia and is subject to aircraft loads.
- We will endeavour to carry your Checked Baggage on the same flight as you, however, Additional and Overweight Baggage will be accepted on a space-available basis. If your baggage cannot be carried on the same flight with you due to operational limitations, it will be transported on the next available flight with sufficient load capacity.
If you purchase additional baggage and you choose to change your flight, your additional baggage will apply to these new flights. If you purchase additional baggage and you choose to cancel your flight, any fees paid for your additional baggage will be forfeited.
Additional baggage fees will be refunded in the following circumstances:
- If you change your flight, and we are unable to carry your additional baggage for operational reasons;
- If we cancel your flight and cannot reaccommodate you;
- If we cancel your flight and can reaccommodate you, but cannot carry your additional baggage on your new flight; or
- If you are entitled to a refund of your fare or your baggage fees under the fare rules and/or the Australian Consumer Law.