Virgin Blue's Velocity Program Inspires a Revamp of Airline Loyalty Schemes30/06/2008
Virgin Blue Airlines has reinforced its position as an innovator in the aviation market as the loyalty scheme model it introduced to the Australian domestic market almost three years ago inspires industry change.
Virgin Blue’s “Velocity” program was launched in November 2005 to offer value and real rewards and recognition for its loyal frequent flyers. The scheme was specifically developed to avoid the angst that traditional frequent “frustration” programs had created in terms of lack of availability of redemption flight options.
Velocity’s “any seat any time” model has proven to be hugely popular in allowing travellers to redeem their Points for any seat, on any flight, at any time, with Velocity’s airline partners. Velocity Members can redeem their Velocity Points for flights on Virgin Blue as well as other global airlines partners including V Australia^, Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, Malaysia, Hawaiian Airlines and of course Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue.
For the past three years in a row, Velocity has been recognised as having the best rewards in the Asia Pacific region by the prestigious global frequent flier awards, The Freddies.
Virgin Blue’s “Velocity” has transformed the domestic Australian frequent flyer proposition by being the first Australian based airline to offer any seat redemption.
With Velocity, there are two types of seats you can redeem your Points for:
Reward Seat - These are the lowest prices with limited availability, (similar to sale fares) so get in early so you don’t miss out.
Any Seat - Gives you access to any available seat on the plane. Prices vary depending on the fares available.
Velocity Members can use their Points for any available seat on Virgin Blue or any of Velocity’s airline partners
Velocity offers true value through its reward seats. On some flights, the other airline’s program requires in excess of 10% more points for a reward seat (at least 1,000 extra Points). For example:
|Reward Seats||Velocity Points From*||QFF Points From* (as at 30/06/08)|
|Sydney – Brisbane one-way||6,900 (plus taxes)||8,000 (plus taxes) >13% more than Velocity|
|Sydney – Melbourne one-way||6,900 (plus taxes)||8,000 (plus taxes) >13% more than Velocity|
|Melbourne – Brisbane one-way||10,900 (plus taxes)||12,000 (plus taxes) >9% more than Velocity|
- Velocity often discounts these already affordable fares even further, through special offers and promotions. Many Velocity flights on Virgin Blue are discounted for the month of July. Over half of all Velocity redemptions have taken advantage of a special offer.
- Redemption seats are plentiful and easily available – if there is a seat
available on the flight, it can be redeemed with Velocity Points.
- Through Velocity’s Partners, Members can earn or burn on flights right across the globe. Popular destinations include London, Los Angeles, and Kuala Lumpur.
|International Redemptions||Velocity Points From*||QFF Points From*(as at 30/06/08)|
|Sydney to London return||128,000 (plus taxes)|
(flying Virgin Atlantic)
|128,000 – 142,500 (plus taxes)|
|Sydney to Los Angeles return||94,000 (plus taxes)|
(flying V Australia^)
|96,000 – 122,500 (plus taxes)|
|Sydney to Kuala Lumpur return||60,000 (plus taxes)|
(flying Malaysia Airlines)
|60,000 – 87,500 (plus taxes)|
NON AIR REWARDS
- Velocity offers a wide range of non-air rewards such as vouchers for example: Myers, Target, Coles, Bunnings and Caltex), as well as scooters and jet fighter rides.
- Velocity offers good value through all rewards including non-air. For example:
Non Air Reward
|Velocity Points From #||QFF Points From # (as at 30/06/08)|
|Car Hire||5,600 – 9,519 (plus taxes)||20,000 (plus taxes)|
|1 night stay Quality Inn||16,000 (plus taxes)||25,000 (plus taxes)|
iTunes $20 Gift Card
FREE TO JOIN
- Velocity is free to join online. Virgin Blue doesn’t require its Guests to pay for their loyalty.
|Velocity On-line Joining Fee||Qantas Frequent Flyer Joining Fee|
For more information on Velocity, visit www.velocityrewards.com.au.
^ V Australia flights will commence 15 December 2008 subject to regulatory approvals
* Velocity Points values are based on Virgin Blue redemption class fares unless otherwise indicated. Taxes, fees and surcharges are payable in addition to Velocity Points redeemed. Redemption values are valid as at 30/06/08 and are subject to change. Qantas Frequent Flyer Points values are based on one way economy class redemption fares with Qantas unless otherwise indicated and are shown on the points calculator at www.qantas.com.au as at 30 June 2008
# Additional taxes, fees and surcharges may apply for some products. Unless otherwise indicated, prices displayed for hotel and car rental are based on the minimum Points cost. Point values are subject to change. Qantas points values are as shown on the Qantas website www.qantas.com.au as at 30 June 2008
Velocity is operated by Velocity Rewards Pty Ltd as trustee of the Loyalty Trust. Velocity Membership is subject to the Velocity Rewards Terms and Conditions of Membership available at www.velocityrewards.com.au