Alliance with Delta Air Lines
Virgin Australia is proud to be a codeshare partner with Delta Air Lines – one of the world’s largest airlines. Together Virgin Australia and Delta serve more than 170 million customers each year with a broad network of destinations across North America, Australia and New Zealand designed to meet the needs of our busy corporate and leisure travellers.
Our partnership offers Velocity Frequent Flyer members the ability to earn and redeem Velocity frequent flyer points and gain status credits on eligible flights along with other service benefits including the use of Delta Airlines lounges within the USA* and Virgin Australia lounges within Australia. (*selected lounges)
Visit the Delta Air Lines website.
Delta Air Lines and Virgin Australia Network
Together Virgin Australia and Delta Air Lines operate 25 return flights per week between Australia and Los Angeles using B777 aircraft. Our joint network offers access from 53 destinations in Australia and New Zealand to over 250 destinations through the United States, Canada and Mexico.
In the Air
Virgin Australia Cabin Classes
International 'The Business'
When travelling in ‘The Business’ on Virgin Australia’s Boeing 777 fleet, guests will enjoy all of the exceptional benefits as detailed below:
- Arrive and depart in style with complimentary limousine transfers
- Dedicated ‘The Business’ Check-in, Boarding and Baggage Release
- Access to Virgin Australia partner lounges
- Welcome aboard glass of champagne
- Private cocoon-like suites
- Fully horizontal lie flat beds with in seat massage and extra legroom
- Personal video screen with full screen video on demand entertainment system
- Fully adaptable private suite with electrical power, USB connectivity and storage at your fingertips
- A Luke Mangan designed à la carte menu, which uses the finest local produce
- Premium selection of Australian and international wines
- Self-service boutique bar
- Customs Express Path and Priority Baggage release
When travelling in our Premium experience across our Boeing 777 fleet, guests will enjoy benefits such as:
- Dedicated Premium Check-in, Boarding and Baggage Release
- Champagne cocktail and canapés served after take-off
- Generous 41” seat pitch and 9” recline
- 10.6” Seatback In-flight entertainment screen and noise cancelling headsets
- In-seat electrical power and USB connectivity
- Self- service bar with a selection of beverages and snacks
- The best in fresh and local produce, with a selection of Australian wines and world-class liqueurs
- Personal video screen with full video on demand entertainment system
- USB slot to power personal devices
- Delicious menu with a selection of meal and beverage option
- Self-service snack kiosk with a selection of snacks and drinks.
Guests travelling on our international long haul services also have the opportunity to select Economy Space + at the time of booking. Located in the first five rows and the exit rows of the main cabin on Virgin Australia's Boeing 777-300ER fleet, Economy Space + benefits include:
- Extra legroom;
- Check-in via a dedicated Premium check-in counter;
- Preferred overhead locker;
- Dedicated crew members throughout the flight;
- Guaranteed first meal choice; and
- Premium noise cancelling headset.
Domestic/International Short Haul
Virgin Australia offers two comfortable, stylish and innovative cabin classes on-board its Domestic Australia flights, providing wireless In-flight Entertainment, gourmet food and beverage selections and excellent customer service. Learn more about our Cabin Classes.
Delta Air Lines Cabin Classes
- Recline 180 degree Flat-bed
- One 110v universal power outlet for laptops and tablets and one USB port for phone
- Complimentary premium entertainment through Delta Studio
- Expanded menu of choices featuring more personalized service and a selection of four different entrées (including vegetarian pasta), premium cheeses, mini desserts and ice cream sundaes
- Complimentary premium spirits
- To help expedite the check-in process, Delta One™ passengers can utilize dedicated check-in positions that will be clearly marked within each airport terminal
- Passengers departing on same day International Delta One™ flight may access Delta Sky Clubs® worldwide International Delta One™ customers will have their luggage tagged with priority bag tags to ensure that they will be among the first to obtain their luggage at baggage claim
- Access to Sky Priority® boarding
- Dedicated overhead bin space
- Extra legroom
- Superior snacks
- Complimentary beer, wine, and spirits
- Complimentary premium entertainment from Delta Studio™.
Delta Main Cabin
- Complimentary snacks and award-winning service
- A non-alcoholic beverage of your choice including Starbucks® coffee
- Beer, wine and spirits are available for purchase
- Select flights have EATS menu selections for sale
- Premier onboard experience, including Wi-Fi, free personal video entertainment with Delta Studio™ .
Virgin Australia and Delta Airlines codeshare on each other’s services. Guests must check their itinerary to ensure they check-in with the operating airline.
Guests departing from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane can check-in 3 hours before the flight’s scheduled depature time.
Virgin Australia offers complimentary transfers between domestic and international terminals in Sydney and Brisbane. Bags will be checked through to the final destination and boarding passes will be issued for the entire journey.
Arriving in Australia
On arrival in Australia, all Virgin Australia and Delta guests must clear immigration and customs.
Please select your city to view the transfer map and instructions:
Departing Los Angeles Airport (LAX) or other North American cities
Guests on a Virgin Australia operated flights, check-in at LAX Terminal 3 at the Virgin Australia check-in counter.
Guests on a Delta operated flight check in at LAX Terminal 5 at the Delta check-in counter.
From other North American cities, guests booked on a single itinerary will be issued their boarding passes, and their bags will be checked through to their final destination on the Virgin Australia network.
Upon arrival in LAX, guests travelling onward on Delta operated Sydney flights should check monitors and proceed to their departure gate. Guests travelling onward on flights operated by Virgin Australia should transfer from T5 to TBIT by taking a 5-minute walk or catching the inter-terminal shuttle which departs from gate 52B and operates regularly from 6:30pm until 11pm.
Arriving and transiting through Los Angeles Airport (LAX)
All Virgin Australia flights to Los Angeles arrive in Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). Delta Airlines flights arrive in Terminal 5 (T5) or TBIT.
Guests arriving on flights operated by Virgin Australia or Delta Airlines in TBIT can transfer to T5 by taking a 5-minute walk. Once in T5, guests go through the security checkpoint and can proceed to their departure gate.
Your carry-on baggage allowance will depend on the operating carrier’s policy for each sector. The operating carrier of each sector is detailed in your itinerary.
Your bags will be checked to your final destination when purchased in a single ticket, offering you a seamless customer experience.
Your included baggage allowance depends on the fare purchased and your Velocity membership level at time of travel. For more information see Checked Baggage.
Excess baggage fees will be charged for any items that exceed the free checked baggage allowance. For details see Excess Baggage.
Virgin Australia Lounge Access
We’ve raised the bar.
Whether it’s relaxing with a glass of wine at the end of a long day, enjoying live music that lifts your mood or simply waking up with a freshly made barista coffee, our lounges aim to make flying a pleasure.
Our architecturally designed lounges are the perfect environment to catch up on work, socialise or relax in comfort. Full business services are available including complimentary WIFI access, meeting rooms and access to a suite of news publications so you can continue your day undisturbed.
Velocity Platinum and Gold members, Guests in business class and Virgin Australia lounge members can enjoy lounge access when travelling on Virgin Australia operated domestic flights.
For access for Delta Air Lines customers, see Delta Air Lines Lounge Directory.
Delta Air Lines Lounge Access
Velocity Platinum and Gold members, and Guests travelling in Business class on codeshare services operated by Delta Air Lines in selected cities within the United States receive complimentary entry into Delta Sky Club lounges.
For full terms and conditions and more information, please visit International Lounge Access.
Virgin Australia and Delta Air Lines frequent flyer members can earn and redeem points and status credits on selected services with both airlines. Eligible Frequent Flyer members can enjoy additional benefits such as lounge entry, extra baggage allowance, priority check-in, priority screening, priority boarding, priority baggage handling and increased check in baggage allowance.
Become a Velocity Frequent Flyer.
|On services operated by Delta Air Lines with a VA or DL flight number||Velocity Platinum members||Velocity Gold members||Velocity Silver members|
|Earn Velocity Points|
|Redeem Velocity Points|
|Earn Status Credits|
|Priority airport check-in|
|Priority baggage handling|
|Access to the Delta Air Lines Lounges||Eligibility for lounge access varies according to your fare class, Velocity membership level and destination. For information on worldwide lounge access, simply select your eligibility from the drop down box on Virgin Australia’s International Lounge Access Guide .
|Increased check in baggage allowance – when travelling on Virgin Australia International Transpacific flights||
For full terms and conditions and more information, please visit Benefits at a Glance.