World's Top New Year's Eve Destinations
The strip is shut off to cars and turned in to one giant street party, complete with fireworks, music and light shows.
Sydney Harbour | Sydney, Australia
It's claimed Sydney’s New Year’s Eve celebration is the most elaborately planned and the most exquisitely executed in the world. Families, friends and revellers gather by and on the harbour to witness Sydney welcome the New Year, before most cities on Earth, with one of the world’s greatest firework displays.
- Flights to Sydney: Virgin Australia operates flights to Sydney direct from all Australian capital cities and most major regional ports, and from international destination such as Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Los Angeles, Abu Dhabi, Nadi and Bali.
CentralWorld | Bangkok, Thailand
New Year's Eve in Bangkok has become synonymous with CentralWorld's annual celebration. Each year locals and visitors gather in and around the shopping mall (the third largest in the world) and its beer gardens to welcome in the New Year with a flamboyant countdown, an incredible fireworks display, and exciting performances by popular local artists. This year’s event is themed "Big Hug, Big Fun"—an apt message of what to expect in Bangkok on New Year’s Eve.
- Flights to Bangkok: Together with partner airline Singapore Airlines, Virgin Australia operates flights to Bangkok via Singapore from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth.
Shibuya Crossing | Tokyo, Japan
On any given day of the week prominent Tokyo landmark, Shibuya Crossing is abuzz with pedestrians, flashing neon signs and giant television screens. On New Year’s Eve the entertainment district causes sensory overload with fireworks, festive chants, and revellers dressed in colourful costumes. Akin to Time Square in New York City, Shibuya promises a night to remember—surrounded by restaurants, nightclubs and hotels, all packed with merry-makers ringing in the New Year in extravagant fashion.
- Flights to Tokyo: Together with partner airline Singapore Airlines, Virgin Australia operates flights to Tokyo via Singapore from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth.
Las Vegas Strip | Las Vegas, USA
It’s a no-brainer… Sin City is a must-experience New Year’s Eve destination. Revelry is a way of life in Las Vegas, and New Year’s Eve sends the city into overdrive. The strip is shut off to cars and turned in to one giant street party, complete with fireworks, music and light shows. Party-goers fill the casinos and nightclubs, as Hollywood’s biggest names host the world’s most ostentatious New Year’s Eve bashes.
- Flights to Las Vegas: Together with partner airlines Delta Air Lines, Virgin Australia operates flights to Las Vegas via LA from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.
Champs-Elysees | Paris, France
Could there be a more appropriate setting in which to ring in the New Year than midnight in Paris? The City of Light shines brighter than ever, ushering in the New Year with a spectacular showcase of festivities. Kids roam the Champs-Elysees selling fireworks. Landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe are lit up for all to see. And thousands of Parisians fill the avenues, toasting with flutes of French champagne and offering well wishes of 'Bonne Annee!'
- Flights to Paris: Together with partner airlines Etihad Airways, Virgin Australia operates flights to Paris via Abu Dhabi from Sydney and Melbourne.