Discover the Coral Coast
The Coral Coast begins just over two hours’ drive north of Perth, at the laidback fishing town of Cervantes. A popular family holiday hotspot, the Cervantes is most famous as the gateway to the Pinnacles of Nambung National Park—a magical landscape of unusual limestone pillars, created more than 25,000 years ago by a receding sea.
Moving north, the relaxed coastal villages of Jurien Bay, Dongara and Port Denison are well loved for their sunny days and sailing, surfing, diving, and swimming opportunities. Jurien Bay and Dongara are great settings in which to get up close and personal with sea lions, while Port Denison fosters a legendary history of shipwrecks.
Just beyond Dongara sits Geraldton—the capital of Western Australia's Mid-West, and the gateway to the amazing Abrolhos Islands. Boasting an archipelago of 122 coral reef ringed atolls and an impressive array of local bird and marine life, the Abrolhos are a star attraction of the region.
North again, the ancient rugged outback meets white sand beaches at Kalbarri, where national park land hosts spectacular 400 million year old river gorges, dramatic coastal rock formations and carpets of wildflowers in the spring.
Two hours away, Shark Bay boasts a World Heritage Listed ecosystem, recognised for its outstanding natural beauty, biological diversity and unique insight into the Earth's history. Take the Shark Bay World Heritage Drive to feed wild dolphins at Monkey Mia. Explore the ancient stromatolites of Hamlin Pool. View dugongs and turtles and manta rays from Eagle Bluff. Marvel at the shell-laden shoreline of Shell Beach (pictured).
Just south of the Tropic of Capricorn, Carnarvon offers a palm-fringed coastal oasis, perfect for exploring World Heritage Listed Ningaloo Reef and Earth’s largest monocline, Mount Augustus.
Stretching for 260 kilometres and home to more than 250 species of coral and 500 species of fish, Ningaloo Marine Park boasts one of the world’s largest fringing reefs. The park is internationally renowned for diving, and is one of the few places in the world where you can swim with the world’s largest fish, the gentle whale shark.
At the top of the Coral Coast, the former WWII US submarine base of Exmouth is a popular hub for travellers wanting to explore Ningaloo Reef and Cape Range National Park—a spectacular natural playground of rugged limestone ranges, deep canyons and almost-endless beaches.
Plan Your Coral Coast Caper
- Flights to the Coral Coast: Virgin Australia operates flights to Geraldton and flights to Exmouth via Perth from Australia state capitals.
- Coral Coast Holiday Packages: Planning your trip with expert help, Virgin Australia can tailor a Coral Coast holiday package to suit your needs.
- Coral Coast Hotels: Establish a great base from which to experience all the action of the Coast. Select from a wide choice of hotels deals for Exmouth, Cervantes, Geraldton, Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, and Carnarvon from Agoda.
- Coral Coast Car Hire: Discover the best of the Coast. Book a car for pick up at Geraldton or Exmouth airports, and receive great rates from our car hire partners.
- Coral Coast Tours and Activities: Swim with Whale Sharks at World Heritage Listed Ningaloo Reef or feed wild dolphins at Monkey Mia, GoDo has number of other extraordinary Coral Coast adventures on offer.