Australia’s Most Romantic Escapes
Fostering a relaxed and unhurried pace, the region provides for an authentic and intimate escape.
We have a number of outstanding romantic escape suggestions, guaranteed to show that special person just how much you care.
Hamilton Island | Queensland
Situated on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef – in the heart of the Whitsunday Islands – surrounded by sapphire waters, beautiful beaches and captivating coral reefs, Hamilton Island is a paradisiacal destination. The island experiences year-round sunshine, and boasts a huge variety of romantic opportunities, including sunset charters, spa experiences, and fine food and wines.
Do and See: Take a scenic flight over Heart Reef—a 17 metres-wide slice of reef, sculpted in the form of a heart-shaped atoll.
Eat and Drink: Enjoy a cocktail or glass of champagne at sunset atop Hamilton Island’s lookout, One Tree Hill, and a romantic dinner at Bommie Restaurant and Bar with uninterrupted views of the Whitsundays.
Sleep: Be immersed in a tranquil atmosphere, and pampered with personalised service at adults-only resort, qualia—voted by Condé Nast Traveler readers as ‘Best Resort in the World for 2012’.
Plan Your Hamilton Island Escape
- Flights to Hamilton Island: Virgin Australia operates flights to Hamilton Island daily, direct from Sydney and Brisbane.
- Hamilton Island Holiday Packages: Our partner Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Hamilton Island holiday packages, which include flights, transfers, accommodation and much more.
Hunter Valley | New South Wales
Think crisp country air, rolling green hills and fruitful vineyards aplenty; The Hunter Valley is one of Australia’s most romantic settings. Just an hour’s drive west of Newcastle and two hours’ drive north of Sydney, the Hunter is a renowned couple’s retreat, dotted with world-class wineries and cellar-door restaurants, and home to a jam-pack year-round calendar of events.
Do and See: Experience the magic of the Hunter from air, with a romantic hot air balloon tour high above the vineyards.
Eat and Drink: Enjoy a wine among the vines at award-winning Brokenwood Wines, and dinner at the cosy and romantic Restaurant Botanica at The Vineyards Estate; both are located in Pokolbin.
Sleep : Stay in luxury at the Château Élan at The Vintage, overlooking Greg Norman-designed fairways and the vales of the Hunter Valley.
Plan Your Hunter Valley Escape
- Flights to Newcastle: Virgin Australia operates flights to Newcastle daily, direct from Brisbane and Melbourne.
- Hunter Valley Holiday Packages: Our partner Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Hunter Valley holiday packages, which include flights, accommodation and much more.
Hepburn Shire | Victoria
Unconventional, but full of unique and natural wonder, Hepburn Shire is an inspiring region. Just an hour and a half’s drive northwest of Melbourne, the shire provides for sensorial escape, with Australia’s largest concentration of natural mineral springs, famous for their relaxing properties. The town of Daylesford is a jewel in the area’s crown, home to several spas, cottages, and bed and breakfasts.
Do and See: Explore the area’s mystical and healing appeal, bathe in the waters of one of the region’s many mineral springs.
Eat and Drink: Dine on modern Australian cuisine with regional flavours at Daylesford’s institution Mercato, amid a relaxing and welcoming environment.
Sleep: Recline is a setting that truly reflects the area’s off-the-beaten-track charm; Jolee Bed & Breakfast offers a romantic ambience surrounded by beautiful bush land.
Plan Your Hepburn Shire Escape
- Flights to Melbourne: Virgin Australia operates flights to Melbourne daily, direct from all Australian capital cities and most major regional ports.
- Daylesford Holiday Packages: Our partner Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Daylesford holiday packages, which include flights, accommodation and much more.
The Freycinet Peninsula | Tasmania
Awash with marvellous colours – pink granite mountains, white sand beaches, grey-green casuarinas, and sapphire seawater – the Freycinet Peninsula is a breathtaking holiday destination. Rich with impressive natural settings and history, dotted with luxury accommodation, and removed from the hustle and bustle of city life, the Tasmanian drawcard is an ideal location for a romantic getaway.
Do and See: Visit Wineglass Bay, one of the world’s most stunning beaches, home to white, silica rich sands, and colourful granite rock formations.
Eat and Drink: Enjoy award-winning a la carte meals, complemented with local produce and wines, at The Bay Restaurant and Hazards Bar at Freycinet Lodge. Try the oysters; they are a renowned Freycinet specialty.
Sleep: Designed with privacy, comfort, relaxation and rejuvenation in mind, Saffire Freycinet connects guests with its stunning coastal surrounds in an inspiring and luxurious setting.
Plan Your Freycinet Peninsula Escape
- Flights to Launceston and Hobart: Virgin Australia operates flights to Launceston and Hobart from all Australian capital cities. Freycinet National Park is located two and a half hours’ drive northeast of Hobart and southeast of Launceston.
- Tasmanian Holiday Packages: Our partner Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Tasmanian holiday packages, which include flights, accommodation and much more
Barossa Valley | South Australia
Steeped in heritage and tradition, the Barossa Valley’s vine-covered hills are sprinkled with historic villages, stone cottages and old wine estates. A little over an hour’s drive northeast of Adelaide, the Valley was deliberately settled and established as a wine region and today produces more than half of Australia's wine. Fostering a relaxed and unhurried pace, the region provides for an authentic and intimate escape.
Do and See: Experience the best of the Barossa Valley – including renowned Shiraz varieties – with a full day food and wine tour.
Eat and Drink: Plan a picnic at celebrity chef, Maggie Beer’s Farm Shop. An assortment of picnic baskets can be bought on-site, to be enjoyed on Farm Shop grounds.
Stay: Discover peace and privacy, seclusion and space in the heart of the Barossa, Stonewell Cottages & Vineyards suites are set on the expansive private vineyard estate, overlooking a picturesque lake.
Plan Your Barossa Valley Escape
- Flights to Adelaide: Virgin Australia operates flights to Adelaide from all Australian capital cities.
Margaret River | Western Australia
Located just three hours’ drive south of Perth, Margaret River helms an awe-inspiring region, full of rolling green hills, fantastic food experiences, and breathtaking ocean and forest settings. Privy to warm weather and sunshine, and hosting some of Australia’s most famous wineries, the region is a celebrated haunt for lovers.
Do and See: Discover the region’s famous for chardonnays and cabernets with an on-site experience at wineries like Stella Bella, Cape Mentele, Leeuwin Estate, Watershed, Pierro, Voyager Estate and Vasse Felix.
Eat and Drink: Book a table at Voyager Estate’s restaurant and dine on a complete food and wine degustation, amid a magnificent Cape Dutch architecture setting.
Sleep: Stay in idyllic 4-star accommodation by the sea, at Margaret’s Beach Resort—one of Western Australia’s best and most romantic beach resorts, and offering easy access to the South West’s world-class wineries, caves, national parks, nature walk trails and surf breaks.
Plan Your Margaret River Escape
- Flights to Perth: Virgin Australia operates flights to Perth from all Australian capital cities.
- Margaret River Holiday Packages: Our partner Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Margaret River holiday packages, which include flights, accommodation and much more.