UpgradeMe Premium Bid Terms and Conditions
- All Guests carried by Virgin Australia are subject to its Conditions of Carriage, and the fare rules and conditions provided at the time of purchasing a ticket. The following terms and conditions (Terms and Conditions) apply specifically to an offer made by a Guest to Virgin Australia (Offer) for an opportunity to upgrade from the cabin class that was originally purchased for travel with Virgin Australia to one cabin class higher (Upgrade).
- Guests must be at least 18 years of age to submit an Offer.
- Not all Guests are eligible for an Upgrade. Virgin Australia has the right to determine Guest eligibility at its sole and absolute discretion. To check eligibility, Guests may visit the Virgin Australia UpgradeMe Premium Bid Website and enter their booking reference number and surname in the fields provided. Alternatively, eligible Guests who have booked their flight via the Virgin Australia website, Virgin Australia Mobile website, or Guest Contact Centre may be sent an email inviting them to submit an offer.
- Offers are only eligible on flights operated by Virgin Australia with tickets that contain a flight number that starts with a VA prefix at the absolute discretion of Virgin Australia. Virgin Australia UpgradeMe Premium Bid is only available on flights, dates and destinations selected by Virgin Australia in its sole and absolute discretion.
- Reward Seat bookings purchased using Velocity Points are not eligible to be upgraded via UpgradeMe Premium Bid. Any Seat bookings purchased using Velocity Points are eligible to be upgraded via UpgradeMe Premium Bid.
- Only one Offer may be submitted per flight sector in a booking. An Offer may subsequently be cancelled or modified in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- If there are multiple Guests in a booking a Guest must submit an Offer to Upgrade all passengers. The Offer amount will be on a per Guest basis. The Offer amount will be multiplied by the number of Guests included in the booking. The Guest that submits an Offer will be deemed to have the authority to act on behalf of and to bind the person or persons named or included in the Offer to these Terms and Conditions.
- Eligible Guests can make an offer by:
a. visiting the Virgin Australia UpgradeMe Premium Bid Website and entering their booking reference number and surname in the fields provided; or
b. following the link contained in an email inviting the Guest to submit an Offer.
- The booking reference number is the reservation number which is supplied to a Guest at the time a Virgin Australia ticket is purchased. A booking reference number is required to submit an Upgrade from the Virgin Australia UpgradeMe Premium Bid Website and to subsequently access the Offer from the Virgin Australia UpgradeMe Premium Bid Website and modify or cancel the Offer (including without limitation increasing an Offer). The booking reference number provided must be kept confidential. Guests must not share their booking reference numbers and are responsible for protecting it against improper and unauthorised use.
- An Offer, when submitted by a Guest, entitles the person or persons named on the Offer, subject to these Terms and Conditions, to be considered for an Upgrade.
- An Offer refers to the total amount, per person, that an eligible Guest is willing to pay for the opportunity to upgrade from the cabin class that was originally purchased for travel with Virgin Australia to one cabin class higher. The amount of an Offer is separate from and additional to the amount paid for the original ticket purchased. For the avoidance of doubt, if an Offer is selected as successful, the total value of the Upgraded ticket is the amount paid for the original ticket purchased plus the amount of the Offer.
- Offers can only be paid for by most credit card, debit card or prepaid card. The payment will only be deducted if an Offer is selected as successful.
- A one dollar authorisation hold will be placed on the payment card account used to submit the Offer (Account) in order to verify the Account is active. This is not a charge and this authorisation hold amount will be removed from the Account when an Offer is either selected as being successful or unsuccessful.
- Successful Offers will be selected by Virgin Australia in its sole and absolute discretion based on, but not limited to, any number of the following selection criteria: the amount of the Offer, the cabin class of the original booking, a Guest’s Velocity Frequent flyer status, the number of seats available in the next cabin class, the number of Guests named in an Offer and the success rate of a Guest receiving Upgrades from previous Offers. Seats in the Premium Economy and Business Class cabins will not be available on all flights; as such your ability to receive an Upgrade is subject to availability.
- Virgin Australia reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to decide whether or not an Offer is successful, and makes no representation that any Guest will receive an Upgrade, regardless of whether or not seats are available in the cabin class for which an Offer is made. Guests are only permitted to submit, modify or cancel an Offer from the date on which Virgin Australia UpgradeMe Premium Bid begins accepting the submission of Offers until two days prior to the scheduled departure date of the flight to which an Offer relates (Bidding Window).
- Once an Offer is submitted a confirmation email will be sent to the Guest that submitted the Offer. The Guest may modify or cancel the Offer through the link in the email or by accessing the Offer from the Virgin Australia UpgradeMe Premium Bid Website, prior to the closure of the Bidding Window, provided that Virgin Australia has not already selected the Offer as being successful (which will occur no later than one day prior to the scheduled departure date of the flight to which the Offer relates) and provided the Guest has not been charged for the successful Offer. If an Offer is selected as being successful before being modified or cancelled, the Guest is legally bound to complete payment for the Offer.
- All notifications concerning an Offer will be communicated to the Guest via email to the email address provided by the Guest when the original Offer was submitted. For security reasons, this email address is not capable of being amended.
- Offers can be assessed by Virgin Australia at any time during the period after an Offer is submitted and one day prior to the scheduled departure date of the flight to which the Offer relates. All Guests who make an Offer will be notified no later than one day prior to the scheduled departure date of the relevant flight of the outcome of their Offer.
- An Offer that complies with these Terms and Conditions will be a valid offer from the time of its submission, until the time the Guest is notified whether their Offer is successful or unsuccessful, which will occur no later than one day prior to the scheduled departure date of the flight to which the Offer relates (Valid Offer). Should a Guest cancel an Offer within the Bidding Window or cancel a flight booking to which an Offer relates, the Offer will no longer be a Valid Offer.
- Virgin Australia may accept an Offer at any time during the period it remains a Valid Offer. In the event Virgin Australia selects as Offer as being successful:
a. the Guest will be notified via email and charged the full amount of the Offer; and
b. The guest will be sent a new itinerary reflecting the Upgrade. The total amount charged includes all applicable pre-payable taxes and fees (if any) for the Upgrade. The total amount to be paid will be disclosed to the Guest prior to submission of the Offer.
- In the event Virgin Australia re-accommodates a Guest onto another flight, for any reason other than the Guest’s default, Virgin Australia will use its best endeavours to transfer the Upgrade to the new flight. The transfer of Upgrades is subject to availability.
- No refunds, credits or exchanges will be issued once an Offer has been selected as successful by Virgin Australia and the Guest has been charged, unless one of the following conditions apply:
a. A flight for which an Offer is selected as being successful is cancelled, and Virgin Australia re-accommodates the Upgraded Guest onto another flight in the original cabin class booked;
b. A Guest’s Offer is selected as being successful and the Guest receives an Upgrade, but the Guest is unable to be seated in the Upgraded cabin class for reasons other than the Guest’s default – including, but not limited to, a change in equipment, or a delay in a connecting flight that results in the Guest missing their connection for which they receive an Upgrade – but excluding reasons attributable to a Guest’s actions – including, but not limited to the Guest’s decision to change flights, resulting in the Guest missing the flight for which they received an Upgrade.
- To apply for a refund, Guests are required to complete and submit an online Refund Request form.
- If the refund is approved, the amount of the Upgrade will be refunded to the Account that was used to pay for the Upgrade.
- Where refunds are approved for the reasons specified in clause 22, the amount paid for the Upgrade will be refunded, and Virgin Australia will have no further liability to the Guest.
- No refund will be issued in the case of a change in aircraft where the Upgraded cabin class is still available to the Guest.
- Approved refunds will be processed in the currency in which the Upgrade amount was charged. Refunds are limited to the amount charged for the Upgrade. No bank-related charges will be refunded.
- The fare rules of the original ticket purchased will remain in effect, applicable even if an Offer is selected as being successful. Fare rules include, but are not limited to, cancellation policies, change fees, baggage allowances and rules relating to the accrual of Velocity Points and Status Credits. Upgraded Guests are eligible to earn Velocity Points and Status Credits at the rate of their originally purchased tickets, not at the rate of their Upgraded fare.
- Virgin Australia will provide its best efforts to ensure services typically available to Guests booked in the Upgraded cabin class including, Priority Check-in, Priority Baggage, Priority Boarding, Virgin Australia lounge access, and onboard meals are included in the Upgrade. However, Virgin Australia is unable to guarantee that all services typically available to Guests booked in the Upgraded cabin class will be included in the Upgrade.
- Upgraded Guests are not eligible for an increased complimentary baggage allowance or complimentary limousine service transfers as part of an Upgrade.
- If a Guest modifies their booking after being notified that their Offer is successful, Virgin Australia has no obligation to seat the Guest(s) in the Upgraded cabin class, and the Upgrade will be forfeited without a refund.
- Virgin Australia does not guarantee specific seat assignments to Guests who receive an Upgrade.
- Virgin Australia will endeavour to provide but does not guarantee that Guests will be offered meals or other amenities from the Upgraded cabin class.
- In the event an Offer is selected as being successful by Virgin Australia and the Guest is charged, but the Upgrade is not provided, the Guest may apply for a refund. The request for a refund must include proof of travel for the flight in question. If a Guest is unable to provide proof of travel for the flight in question, Virgin Australia will be under no obligation to refund the amount paid for the Upgrade.
- The failure by Virgin Australia to exercise its rights will not be construed as a waiver or relinquishment of the future performance of any of its rights, and the Guest’s obligations with respect to such future performance shall continue in full force and effect.
- Guests who select an Extra Legroom seat for their original booking, then receive an Upgrade, will not be refunded the amount paid for Extra Legroom.