Virgin Australia Transforms the Canberra Travel Experience13/03/2013
Virgin Australia today heralded a new era of travel in the nation’s capital by announcing a range of major enhancements to the travel experience, both in the air and on the ground.
To coincide with the opening of the new state-of-the-art west wing at Canberra’s Domestic Terminal, Virgin Australia unveiled a range of initiatives at a press conference today including the introduction of Business Class on its refurbished Embraer fleet, which flies between Sydney and Canberra in 23 minutes*.
Virgin Australia opened its doors to a new 300-seater lounge, designed by renowned architect Tim Greer of Tonkin Zulaikha Greer Architects. Virgin Australia customers will now benefit from more check-in counters, comfortable leather seating in departure lounges and additional passenger screening areas and baggage carousels within the new terminal space.
Reinforcing its commitment to the highly sought after corporate, government and leisure market, Virgin Australia offers the highest number of destinations to and from Canberra with direct services to Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Hobart, Melbourne and the Gold Coast.
Virgin Australia Chief Executive Officer John Borghetti said the enhancements heralded a new standard of travel in the nation’s capital.
“Canberra is an important hub for corporate, government and leisure travellers and we now offer a premium end-to-end travel experience that not only encapsulates Virgin Australia’s distinct look and feel but also our high standard of service.
“For the first time in over a decade Australians will have a choice when it comes to competition in Business Class travel in and out of the capital.” Mr. Borghetti said.
All 18 aircraft in the Embraer fleet have now been fitted out with a Business Class cabin delivering luxury leather seats, a newly configured seating design with a 2:1 layout, and the same 38”s seat pitch offered on the Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
The new 1082m2 Virgin Australia lounge offers sweeping views across the tarmac, gourmet refreshments, and exclusive design elements including Marblo bars, natural stone flooring and Walter Knoll leather chairs.
The 1082sqm lounge seats up to 300 guests and features:
- Luxury lounge seating in a contemporary interior design;
- Australian chef Luke Mangan designed menu and refreshments including an all-day barista service;
- A premium selection of wine and beer;
- Business services including complimentary WiFi, power, PC and printer;
- Entertainment and relaxation with newspapers, premium magazine titles; and a high-definition television featuring FOXTEL and free-to-air programming.
Business Class features on the E190 include:
- New seating with 38” seat pitch
- Newly configured seating design with a 2:1 layout
- Personalised service from a dedicated cabin crew member along with dedicated washroom facilities
- Newspapers until noon daily
- Exclusive Luke Mangan gourmet service
- Premium Australian wine, beer, and spirit selection
- Priority security screening, boarding and baggage service
- Complimentary access to Virgin Australia airport lounges – at Sydney Airport, direct kerbside access into the lounge via a dedicated security screening point and check-in desk with optional valet parking