- Virgin Australia begins Business Class for flights to Auckland as part of a progressive rollout in the New Zealand and Pacific Island markets
- Darwin Lounge and Alice Springs Regional Lounges open
- Appointment of new Virgin Australia Group Chairman Elizabeth Bryan
- Announces long haul international cabin crew base, long haul international pilot base and dedicated East Coast charter operations base in Brisbane
- Tourism Australia and Virgin Australia reach landmark agreement, providing a $50 million boost for Australian tourism
- Major redesign of the Premium Economy cabin on the Boeing 777 fleet announced
- Virgin Australia Cargo is launched, entering the domestic and short haul international cargo market in Australia
- Velocity Frequent Flyer acquires leading data analytics business Torque Solutions (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Virgin Australia Group completes the full acquisition of Tigerair Australia
- Virgin Australia is named Tourism Australia’s platinum airline partner of the Australian Tourism Exchange (ATE) 2014 event
- Velocity Frequent Flyer reaches four million members
- Virgin Australia unveils new Melbourne Lounge
- Launches the ‘High Flyer Passport’ initiative aimed at Australia’s youngest flyers ages 10 and under
- Velocity Frequent Flyer partner with Virgin Galactic unveils Space Class granting a world-first upgrade to space on the first commercial spaceline and certified astronaut status
- New in-flight menus unveiled, designed by the Virgin Australia’s chef, Luke Mangan
- Carbon offset program expanded with the launch of a partnership with the Tasmanian Land Conservancy
- Announces appointment of three new non-Executive Directors to the board of Virgin Australia: Mr Christopher Luxon, Air New Zealand; Mr James Hogan, Etihad Airways; and Mr Goh Choon Phong, Singapore Airlines
- Launches new online check-in system accessible via smart phone, tablet or computer
- Unveils new lounge menus across the domestic lounge network
- Opens first Australian ‘Premium Exit’ from Melbourne Lounge
- Announces the next evolution in the airline’s premium experience, unveiling a major redesign of the Business Class and Premium Economy cabins on the Boeing 777 fleet
- Tourism Australia and Virgin Australia expand global marketing deal for 2015
- Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines launch the world-first frequent flyer conversion initiative, enabling members of Velocity Frequent Flyer and KrisFlyer to convert Miles and Points between programs
- Business Class goes on sale for Trans-Tasman and Pacific Island routes
- Becomes the Principal and Naming Rights Partner of the Melbourne Fashion Festival
- Unveils first Virgin Australia lounge in Cairns
- Launches new Sydney lounge with Melbourne Cup Carnival Hat Valet service
- Becomes Co-Major Partner of the Greater Western Sydney Giants
- SilkAir, the regional airline of Singapore Airlines, joins Virgin Australia’s Velocity Frequent Flyer program
- Becomes Official Airline Sponsor of 2013 Channel 7 Telethon
- Announces new five-year agreement with the AFL, extending the partnership until 2018
- Launches the first Asia Pacific wireless in-flight entertainment system across its domestic and short-haul international network
- Becomes a Major Sponsor of Australia’s leading contemporary dance company, Sydney Dance Company
- The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission reauthorises the trans-Tasman alliance between Virgin Australia and Air New Zealand until 31 October 2018.
- Virgin Australia launches new codeshare and Frequent Flyer Agreement with airberlin of Germany
- Invests in new and upgraded facilities in Darwin’s International Airport expansion
- Virgin Australia, Brisbane Airport Corporation and the global market maker in sustainable jet fuel, SkyNRG, announce a feasibility study into the creation of Australia’s first “bio-port” at Brisbane Airport
- Velocity Frequent Flyer unveils partnership with Visa for the Global Wallet™
- Completes acquisition of Skywest Airlines Ltd
- Introduces a single VA designator code and the Sabre booking and check-in system across its domestic and international networks
- Velocity Frequent Flyer unveils Australia’s first and only airline loyalty program in Australia to provide Status Credits on Reward Seats
- Business Class is launched across the majority of Virgin Australia’s domestic network
- Virgin Australia awarded ‘Best Airline’ and ‘Best Staff Service’ in the 2012 Skytrax World Airline Awards
- ‘Mobile Boarding’ passes and First iPhone app are launched
- First Virgin Australia lounge on the Gold Coast opens
- Australian-first biodiesel trial in ground-service equipment conducted at Brisbane Domestic Airport
- Contemporary design of new Airbus A330-200 are revealed
- New cabin interiors for Boeing 777 are unveiled
- Codeshare on select Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America services are launched
- Virgin Australia begins flying in New Zealand (formerly Pacific Blue) and Virgin Samoa (formerly Polynesian Blue) takes-off in Samoa
- Alliance with Singapore Airlines goes live
- Inaugural Darwin-Sydney service is launched
- Premium Valet at Brisbane Domestic Airport opens
- New inflight entertainment plans are announced including the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Lufthansa Systems’ Wi-Fi steaming technology
- New partnership with Surf Life Saving Australia launched to promote surf safety
- V Australia launches new services between Sydney and Abu Dhabi
- Implementation of comprehensive partnership with Etihad and Trans-Tasman alliance with Air New Zealand.
- New uniforms designed by Juli Grbac are launched
- Luke Mangan inspired new menu options are revealed
- A330 Coast to Coast Business Class is announced and goes on sale
- Australia's first Lounge Premium Entry and Premium Valet at Sydney Airport opens
- Virgin Australia is announced as the company’s new name
- New lounges open in Melbourne and Brisbane
- Virgin Australia Airlines and Delta Air Lines received final approval for their trans-Pacific alliance
- Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines signed a landmark agreement to establish a long-term alliance
- Virgin Australia launches new Velocity frequent flyer program
- ATR-72 aircraft enter into service on key regional routes
- Virgin Australia Business Class goes on sale across the domestic network
- Our international airlines, Pacific Blue and V Australia, adopt Virgin Australia brand
- Appointment of John Borghetti as the new Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, effective May 8, 2010.
- Virgin Blue became the first Australian airline to offer remote check-in via your mobile, called “Check-Mate!”
- Virgin Blue Group of Airlines and Air New Zealand seek regulatory approval to create a trans-Tasman alliance. (Final approval was received from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the New Zealand Ministry of Transport in December 2010.)
- Virgin Blue awarded Best Low-Cost Airline (Australia/Pacific), in the 2010 Skytrax World Airline Awards - the fourth time Virgin Blue won the award, also winning it in 2002, 2004 and 2008.
- New business strategy - the Game Change program – announced.
- Comprehensive partnership with Etihad Airways announced, including plans for V Australia to commence flights between Sydney and Abu Dhabi in 2011.
- Announced the introduction of a total of four Airbus A330-200 aircraft to the Virgin Blue fleet to operate Australian trans-continental routes. Two scheduled for delivery in May 2011 and two for early 2012.
- V Australia’s inaugural flight from Sydney to Los Angeles (February) and Brisbane to Los Angeles (April).
- Virgin Blue lodged application with the US DoT and Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to operate a Trans-Pacific joint venture with Delta Air Lines Inc. (The ACCC authorised the joint venture for five years on 10 December 2009. We await US DoT approval.)
- Launch of Virgin Blue’s Premium Economy product.
- Toll divested its controlling stake in Virgin Blue Holdings, making Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group the largest single shareholder at that time, with 25.5 per cent.
- Plans to establish a long haul international airline, V Australia, announced.
- Virgin Blue launched Australia’s first government-certified airline Carbon Offset Program.
- Pacific Blue launched domestic services in New Zealand.
- Toll Holdings acquired Patrick Corporation and therefore took a controlling 63 per cent shareholding in Virgin Blue.
- Launch of Polynesian Blue in partnership with the Government of Samoa to launch. The first flight departed Auckland for Apia of 30 October.
- Virgin Blue became first Australian airline to offer an online Web Check-In service.
- Virgin Blue’s 50th aircraft went into service.
- Launch of our loyalty program Velocity Rewards.
- Patrick acquired a further 17 per cent of Virgin Blue for $346m, giving it a controlling 62.4 per cent stake in the company.
- Launch of Pacific Blue, a New Zealand-based leisure-focussed international airline offering flights between Australia, New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Fiji, Tonga and Vanuatu.
- Launch of Virgin Blue’s holiday arm, Blue Holidays
- Virgin Blue Holdings floated on the Australian Stock Exchange, December 2003.
- Patrick Corporation invested a further $137m at the time of the Initial Public Offering.
- Nine new routes launched.
- Patrick Corporation acquired a 50 per cent share in Virgin Blue Airlines.
- 14 new routes were launched, expanding to a true national domestic network.
- We welcomed our millionth Guest onboard in June 2001.
- Virgin Blue’s first flight was DJ214 from Brisbane to Sydney on 31 August 2000.
- The airline had one route, two aircraft, and a dedicated team of just 200 people.