Extra Legroom seating is available for a small additional charge when you purchase a seat in the Economy cabin on all Virgin Australia operated flights numbered between VA001 to VA 2999 and VA4000 to VA4999. Extra Legroom seating offers a minimum of 96.5 cm (38 inch) seat pitch to ensure you remain comfortable during your flight
If you wish to select your seat in advance of booking, view our seatmaps.
Extra Legroom is subject to availability, ability to meet the eligibility requirements and agreement to accept our terms and conditions outlined below.
How to Book
At Time of Booking
Secure your preferred seat in advance.
Online: Select an Extra Legroom seat, on the Seating page, during the booking process. Applicable fees will be added to your Booking Summary.
By Phone: Request an Extra Legroom seat when you make a new booking through our Guest Contact Centre.
Opt to increase your level of comfort after you have made a booking.
Online: Add Extra Legroom to your booking via our Manage Booking service.
By Phone: Call our Guest Contact Centre and request to add Extra Legroom to your existing booking (subject to the applicable fee).
What are the Details?
All VA Operated Flights
At time of booking
Yes, via Call Centre or Manage Booking service
At check in
What is the Eligibility Criteria?
All Extra Legroom seats are sold subject to availability, eligibility criteria, conditions and Exit Row safety requirements assessed on day of travel.
Please view all Extra Legroom requirements before making your purchase to ensure you are eligible as penalty fees may apply.
Exit Row Safety Requirements
To be seated in an Exit Row seat, you must:
- Be 15 years or older
- Be physically able to reach, locate and operate the emergency exit window or door, and to quickly pass through the exit
- Be able to understand and acknowledge instructions given by our Cabin Crew in English about the tasks you will be expected to perform in an emergency evacuation and read the safety card provided by our Crew for that purpose
- Be able to check outside conditions and respond to cabin crew commands before opening an exit
- Be able and willing to assist the Crew and other passengers in the evacuation of the aircraft
- Not have any condition (be it a consequence of age, frailty, injury, physical or psychological disability, mobility, vision or hearing impairment, sickness, injury or anything else) which may prevent you from performing the duties listed above
- Not be travelling with a carer, a guide dog or an assistance animal
- Not be carrying an infant
- Not require the use of an extension seat belt
- If your circumstances change and you subsequently cannot meet the above safety requirements, please call the Guest Contact Centre prior to travel to remove the Emergency Exit row seat. You will receive a Credit for any Extra Legroom fee paid, if applicable.
- All carry-on baggage must be stowed in the aircraft overhead locker for taxi, takeoff and landing.
Terms and Conditions
- All carry-on baggage must be stowed in the aircraft overhead locker for taxi, takeoff and landing. Seat may or may not recline.
- Fees quoted are per person, one way, for each sector in the applicable booking currency of country of origin or purchase. The applicable fee will be the fee published on our website at the time you purchase the service.
- Virgin Australia does not guarantee particular seats, even if your reservation is confirmed. We commit that if you have pre-purchased Extra Legroom seating, subject to availability, aircraft type, operational and safety requirements, we will seat you in an exit row seat.
- In the rare instances that we are unable to accommodate you in an Extra Legroom seating, we will issue a credit to you for the Extra Legroom fee paid.
- Credits are non-refundable and must be used within 12 months from the date of first booking by contacting the Guest Contact Centre. Applicable Guest Contact Centre fees apply.
- Extra Legroom seating is not available on flights operated by our codeshare partners.
- If your circumstances change and you subsequently cannot meet the above safety requirements, please call the Guest Contact Centre prior to travel to remove the Extra Legroom reservation. You will receive a Credit for the Extra Legroom fee paid.
- Velocity Points can only be redeemed for the Extra Legroom fee when making a Velocity Reward Seat or Any Seat booking. Velocity Members will not earn Velocity Points or Status Credits on the amount paid for Extra Legroom seating.
- Flight changes made from a direct flight to connecting flights will attract a new Extra Legroom fee applicable for the additional sector within the connection, as set out above. This fee will be payable at the time of the change.
- If you upgrade to Business Class or Premium Economy in accordance with your fare rules you will not be entitled to a refund of the Extra Legroom fee however the amount can be used to offset change fees or may otherwise be issued as credit.
- In the event of a change from a connecting flight to a direct flight, you may use excess Extra Legroom fees paid to offset change fees or may otherwise be issued with a credit.
- Extra Legroom fees are non-transferable.
- Cancellations and changes to flight bookings with Extra Legroom seating may be made via the Guest Contact Centre, in accordance with the Fare Rules applicable to your booking.
- Bookings with Extra Legroom seating cannot be changed or cancelled online.
- If Extra Legroom seating is unavailable on the changed flight, the Guest Contact Centre will issue a credit in the amount of the Extra Legroom fee.