Best Airline Australia Pacific
Best Airline Staff Service Australia Pacific
Virgin Blue Update Regarding Melbourne Airport
Virgin Blue Airlines continues to work around the clock to move those Guests who have been affected by the delays caused by the closure of Melbourne Airport’s South Terminal for the majority of yesterday.
Flights are operating in and out of the South Terminal with some delays and cancellations. 20 flights have been cancelled across the network (out of the overall 300+ flights that Virgin Blue operates daily). Delays are primarily due to crew and aircraft being displaced across the country after the South Terminal closure yesterday. 60% of Virgin Blue’s route schedule is operating normally today while the remaining 40% of flights are being managed by the network operations team.
Virgin Blue has obtained the support of crew currently on leave to assist both on the ground and in the air as well as the Guest Contact Centre and Operations Centre.
Virgin Blue spokesperson Amanda Bolger said, “Our priority first and foremost is to move as many Guests as quickly as possible today using whatever means we can. That includes using our own airline, seats on other airlines as well as investigating charter opportunities.”
“We are doing all we can to rectify a problem not of our making and while yesterday was beyond our control, our people have worked through the night and today to get the network back on track. A large number of Guests affected yesterday have been accommodated on flights today with us or other carriers and our remaining Guests are expected to get to their destination later today. ”
In light of the circumstances, Virgin Blue has made an exception to its delay policy and, in recognition of the difficulties experienced by up to 13,000 Guests, will incur the additional costs associated with:
Offering a full cash refund OR flight credit option to those Virgin Blue Guests who independently found alternative means of travel on another airline or mode of transportation
Offering a free flight to ALL Virgin Blue Guests that were seriously disrupted as a result of Melbourne Airport’s South Terminal Closure (the offer applies to delays over 4 hours and will be to the value of the amount they paid for their disrupted flight)
The immediate focus for Virgin Blue is on getting flights across the entire network back on schedule.
Once operations have returned to normal and all Guests have been looked after, a full investigation will be conducted into the circumstances surrounding the closure of the South Terminal at the nation’s second largest airport.
Virgin Blue Guests wanting information regarding specific flights can contact the Guest Contact Centre on 13 6789